Sports News CAS dismisses Santos case against Barcelona over Neymar transfer...

CAS dismisses Santos case against Barcelona over Neymar transfer | Football News – Times of India

-

- Advertisment -


Neymar. (File Pic – Reuters Photo)

BARCELONA: The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rejected Brazilian club Santos‘ case against Barcelona relating to the signing of Neymar in 2013, the Spanish club said in a statement on Tuesday.
Santos had presented a claim to soccer’s world governing body FIFA in 2015 asking for 61,295,000 euros ($69.21 million) in compensation and damages after Barca made a payment to Neymar’s father and the family company N&N before signing the Brazil forward for an initial fee of 57 million euros.
“The CAS found that the contract between Santos and Neymar was ended by mutual agreement and that Barcelona did not flout the transfer agreement when it paid additional fees to the player’s father and the firm N&N,” Barca said.
“Barcelona did not commit any fraudulent conduct when it signed a pre-transfer agreement with Neymar nor when it signed the transfer with Santos.”
The statement added that Santos had been ordered by CAS to pay Barca’s legal fees of 20,000 Swiss Francs ($21,253.99).
Neymar’s transfer from his boyhood club to Barcelona was shrouded in legal troubles, leading Spain’s High Court to launch a fraud and corruption investigation into the player, who denied any wrongdoing, over the value of his transfer.
The investigation also led to Barca’s then president Sandro Rosell, who brokered the deal, resigning from the club in 2014.
Neymar enjoyed a trophy-laden four years at Barcelona and formed a world-beating front three with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez before joining Paris St Germain for a world record fee of 222 million euros.
Neymar then sued Barca over the partial payment of a loyalty bonus worth 26 million euros but lost the case and was ordered to pay his former club 6.7 million euros for breach of the last contract he signed with them in 2016.
Despite their legal battles, the Brazilian tried to force through a return to Barcelona last year and refused to train with PSG at one point, but the Catalans ultimately failed to meet the French side’s asking price.
Barca were expected to make another swoop for him this summer but president Josep Maria Bartomeu said on Wednesday the club were unlikely to make another offer for Neymar due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Times Top10: Today’s Top News Headlines and Latest News from India & across the World | Times of India

5 THINGS FIRSTBihar legislature to meet in truncated, day-long monsoon session; Rituals leading up to Ram Temple 'Bhoomi...

Firefighters struggle to contain blaze in southern California

LOS ANGELES: More than 1,300 firefighters were battling a blaze that was burning out of control Sunday in...

Belling the cat: Online ad revenues can help pay for journalism. Australia tells Google, Facebook to share

Indian government must take note of an Australian code that will force digital platforms Google and Facebook to...

Happy Raksha Bandhan 2020: Images, Quotes, Wishes, Messages, Cards, Greetings, Pictures and GIFs – Times of India

Raksha Bandhan, the festival of siblings is here. Rakhi celebrates the bond between sisters and brothers. Whether you're...
- Advertisement -

IPL wants teams to travel on August 20 | Cricket News – Times of India

MUMBAI: The Indian Premier League’s (IPL) governing council (GC) has decided to ask the franchises and...

Microsoft to continue talks to buy TikTok from ByteDance – Times of India

Representational photo.Microsoft Corp said on Sunday that it would continue discussions to acquire popular short-video app

Must read

Firefighters struggle to contain blaze in southern California

LOS ANGELES: More than 1,300 firefighters were battling...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you